THE EAST WINDOW
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of George Hickson Feltrim Fagan MA. Vicar of this Parish 1889 – 1924.
The stained glass window was given by his parishioners and friends.
This is a ‘Jesse’ window and traces the ancestry of Jesus in pictures. The centre panel shows the Virgin Mary holding the Christ Child. There are three rows of lights; medieval glass has been incorporated into the middle panel, which produces enhanced colours in morning sunlight.
The Reverend George Fagan MA was born in 1852 and became Vicar of the Parish of Kingskerswell in 1889 where he remained for thirty five years. He died in office on 24 April 1924 and is buried in Kingskerswell Churchyard.
George Fagan, a bachelor, was devoted to his parishioners and they to him. At Christmas time he used personally to deliver the Poor Relief to the people of the parish. In his clerical dress of frock-coat, gaiters and a large brimmed hat he would arrive at the recipients’ homes in his pony and trap and off-load a sack of coal and whatever else made up the Poor Relief.
The window was made by Ward & Hughes of Frith Street, London and has recently been restored by Bob Tucker of Heritage Glass, Kingskerswell.
Our organ was built by George Hawkins of Newton Abbot and installed by Hele & Co of Plymouth, around 1890.
The decorated pipes on the north and west sides of the instrument are well worth a closer inspection. The instrument has had several upgrades, the last major one being carried out by George Osmond & Company in 1965.
The pedalboard is radiating and concave. The National Pipe Organ Register reference is N13007.
Our churchyard is maintained by the Parochial Church Council for the residents of Kingskerswell either to bury their dead or to inter cremated remains. Because a churchyard, unlike a cemetery, is for the living as well as the dead, we take pride in keeping ours as a place which others want to visit for peaceful re-creation as well as tending the graves
The original churchyard was extended in the last century in a southward direction towards Kerswell Downs by a gift of land from the then Squire of Kingskerswell.
The burial ground to the north of the Parish Church was given in the 1940’s by Mr Thomas Brown, the present Squire of Kingskerswell. It was extended in 1991 when the Parochial Church Council purchased a further parcel of land which included the ruins of a Pound House, once part of the mediaeval Manor House complex of buildings. The ruins were stabilised using donations given by parishioners and a grant from Devon County Council. The work was completed in 1993 and there is now an on-going programme of maintenance work on the walls as funds become available. As part of the heritage of Kingskerswell the Pound House is maintained by the Parochial Church Council and is used for quiet meditation and relaxation, for social events and for wedding photographs.
THE POUND HOUSE RUINS
In 2008 further ground was gifted to the Parish by Mr Brown for use when required as a burial ground. Some of this land is close to the river and therefore unsuitable for burials. It has been leased to St Mary’s Allotment Society. Planning permission is being sought for extension of the burial ground in the other part of the land.
Kingskerswell Churchyard Maintenance Fund
This special fund is for the regular maintenance of the churchyard and the provision, when necessary, of further land for burial. It is hoped that the annual income of the fund will exceed the annual expenditure so that capital will be built up for future possible major works on the boundary fences, paths and drainage. Relatives and friends of those buried in the churchyard are invited to make a regular contribution to the Maintenance Fund to enable us to ensure that the churchyard continues to be a fitting memorial to past generations and a source of pride to the present generation of Kingskerswell residents.
Further information may be obtained from the Church Office.